Saturday, September 8, 2012

ARTIST'S STATEMENT.

I'm dedicated to narrative fiction in several different media- film, theatre, fine art and prose.

I was born a visual artist but raised a writer, and the two meet for me in film. I believe in text that works hand in hand with visuals to supercharge an actor's performance and communicate lucidly and efficiently the emotional tone in a film. I recognize the all-importance of story, of beauty, of terror and of succinctness in art, and I recognize the all-importance of collaboration, gestation, spontaneity, overcoming challenges and truth in the creative process. I recognize that without any of these necessary ingredients, the work will be missing essential depth(s) and dimension(s).

I want to realize not only the visions in my head, but the visions in the minds of like-minded others. I want each contribution to lift up the other and to create something exceptional and undeniably true to the audiences who watch it. I want to be surprised by my own work, I want to be surprised by the work of my collaborators.  I want all possible parts of my skill set and imagination to be engaged in the process.

But most important are the characters. Did I mention the characters?

Conrad

No comments:

Post a Comment